2023: The Alpine Fellowship on Flourishing
‘It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.’
Deadline to apply: April 15th
2023's Theme: FlourishingA three-day symposium filled with lectures, seminars, performances, and installations presented by internationally-acclaimed scholars and artists who are at the forefront of their fields. Nightly performances of poetry and music follow rigorous and stimulating discussions on the theme.
In 2023 we explore some of the following questions:
- Is our striving for a particular conception of health or flourishing at the heart of our sickness?
- And what if sickness or disease is a tremendous yet neglected and misunderstood portal to deeper health?
- What would a conception of flourishing look like that integrated suffering right at the very heart of its approach to life?
- Can a techno-scientific worldview aiming at a life free from suffering and filled with convenience really integrate such a conception?
- What does it mean to be healthy, and what would constitute a healthy society?
- What role does our environment play in this? Can we conceive of our health as separate from our environment?
Watch recordings from 2022's Fellowship on Freedom
In 2022 we gathered in Ellenborough Park, UK to explore the timely and fascinating topic of Freedom. We were joined by a selection of exceptional speakers for around the world, including Esther Perel, Yuval Noah Harari, Jamie Bartlett, Ayishat Akanbi, John Burnside, and many more. Watch all the recorded talks here.
From Composer and 2022 Participant Richard Zarou:
"What I most appreciated about my experience of the Alpine Fellowship was the kindness I encountered throughout the weekend. I was met with amazing talks on “Freedom” and after each presentation there was a sense of community that was shared in personal moments. There is no other place where I could have encountered such a beautiful diversity of ideas and thoughts coupled with friendship and kindness. The Alpine Fellowship is unlike anything I’ve every experienced and I am blessed to have been a part of it."
Apply by April 15th
We are accepting applications for OSUN student & faculty participants in the 2023 gathering on Flourishing from August 10-13, 2023, at Fjallnas, TÄNNDALEN, Sweden. Food, room, and travel are covered by the Hannah Arendt Humanities Network and The Alpine Fellowship. Faculty can apply to either present a work (talk, reading, visual arts, performing arts, etc) or simply attend as a participant.
Faculty apply here
Students can apply as participants.
Students apply here